Indigenous Admissions Access Category - Undergraduate Admissions


Western University is committed to increasing access to post-secondary education for Indigenous* learners. This commitment involves offering accessible undergraduate admission pathways for Indigenous applicants while providing these individuals with extended academic, personal, and cultural supports necessary for transition and success once they become students. To learn more about our transition program please visit our Indigenous Student Transition Program page.

*Indigenous is defined based on the Canadian Constitution Act 1982 as First Nations, Métis, and Inuit people in Canada.

Undergraduate Application Process

To ensure that the Indigenous Admissions Access Category is available to Indigenous applicants, Western requests for:

  1. Consent from applicants to be considered under this Indigenous admissions category and to the collection of personal information by filling out the online consent form.
  2. Proof of Indigenous ancestry. Indigenous documentation can be submitted through a scanned copy (front and back) of an applicant’s “Indian Status”, Métis citizenship or membership cards or Inuit Trust. Documentation can be directly uploaded on our online consent form  
Indigenous Student Centre 
Western University
1151 Richmond Street,Room 2100, WSSB
London, Ontario N6A 3K7


All personal documentation is kept in the strictest confidence and securely housed within the Indigenous Student Centre. The personal information is collected under the authority of the University of Western Ontario Act, 1982. The information is collected to offer accessible admission pathways for Indigenous applicants and providing additional support to applicants who become students.  For further information about this collection, please contact the Indigenous Student Centre, Western University, London, ON, N6A 3K7; Phone 519-661-2111 x89176.

Frequently Asked Questions

I don't have a Certificate of Indian Status, Métis Citizenship or Inuit Trust card. Am I still eligible for the Indigenous Admissions Access Category?

If you have any concerns about the proof of ancestry requirement or circumstances that have prevented you from obtaining the above identification, please contact our office at with the subject heading "Assistance required with Proof of Ancestry Requirement”. You can also call our office at 519-661-4095.

I do not wish to be considered under the Indigenous Admissions Access Category and I have a "To Do" list item on my Student Centre. Is this holding up my application with Western?

No, students who have not yet submitted proof of ancestry and their consent form will still be considered with the general pool of applicants. Please contact our office or Undergraduate admissions to have your Indigenous Admissions "To Do" list item resolved.

I have submitted my consent form and proof of ancestry and I still have a "To Do" list item on my Student Centre. When will this be removed?

The Indigenous Documentation To-Do list item will never be removed from your account. Once you have successfully submitted the online consent form, your To-Do list item status will update from "missing" to "recieved". It can take 10-15 buisness days to be updated.When your submission has been processed you will no longer recieve a pop up reminder when you log into your student centre account and the missing icon will be removed from your "My Applications" section. 

If I choose not to use the Indigenous Admissions Access Category can I still access the Indigenous Student Centre as a student?

Absolutely! The Indigenous Student Centre is for all self-identifying Indigenous students at Western. We welcome all students to use our services and attend our programming!

I have previously applied to Western, do I need to resubmit my consent form and proof of ancestry?

You will need to submit an online consent form for the current year you are applying. Email or phone our Indigenous Student Centre to confirm if you will need to resubmit your proof of ancestry.

Do you have any other questions about the Undergraduate Indigenous Admissions Access Category?

For more information contact the Indigenous Student Centre.