Dr. Valio Markkanen Indigenous Undergraduate and Graduate Awards of Excellence
Award Deadline February 19th, 2021
2 Awards valued at $1000 each
Awarded annually to an Indigenous undergraduate student and an Indigenous graduate student (First Nations – status/non-status, Métis and/or Inuit ancestry) registered on Western’s main campus. The recipients will be selected based on the level of demonstration in the following:
- Achievement of academic excellence
- Previous/active/intended contribution to Indigenous communities (on and/or off-reserve)
- Commitment to Western’s campus community through engagement outside of the classroom.
This award was established with a generous gift from the estate of Dr. Valio Markkanen. Dr. Valio Markkanen was a well-loved medical doctor in both Canada and the USA. He passed away in 2008 in Windsor at the age of 95. His friends and family will always remember his positive, happy, funny and appreciative personality.
How to Apply
Students must submit the following:
- One to two page statement that details why they believe they fit the criteria for the award
- One letter of reference (personal or professional)
- An unofficial transcript to show academic achievement (this can be found on student.uwo.ca, a screen shot or print out is accepted)
Please submit the application by email to:
519.661.2111, ext. 86437
The recipient will be selected by a committee. The award will be presented at the Indigenous Student Graduation Ceremony held in April each year.