Aboriginal Access Admissions Category - Undergraduate Admissions


Western University is committed to increasing access to post-secondary education for Aboriginal* learners. This commitment involves offering accessible undergraduate admission pathways for Indigenous American and Aboriginal applicants while providing these individuals with extended academic, personal, and cultural supports necessary for transition and success once they become students. To learn more about our transition program please visit our Academic Transition Opportunities page.

*Aboriginal is defined based on the Canadian Constitution Act 1982 as First Nations, Métis, and Inuit people in Canada.

Undergraduate Application Process

To ensure that the Aboriginal Admission Access Category is available to Aboriginal applicants, Western requests for:

  1. Consent from applicants to be considered under this Aboriginal admission category and to the collection of personal information by filling out the online consent form.
  2. Proof of Aboriginal ancestry. Aboriginal documentation can be submitted through a scanned copy (front and back) of an applicant’s Aboriginal “Indian Status”, Métis citizenship or membership cards or Inuit Trust. Documentation can be directly uploaded on our online consent form or sent to the Indigenous Student Centre by fax or mail at:
Indigenous Student Centre, Student Experience
Western University
Western Student Services Building (WSSB), Room 2100
London, Ontario N6A 3K7
Confidential Fax: 1-519-850-2578


All personal documentation is kept in strictest confidence and securely housed within the Indigenous Student Centre. The personal information is collected under the authority of the University of Western Ontario Act, 1982. The information is collected to offer accessible admission pathways for Aboriginal applicants and providing additional support to applicants who become students.  For further information about this collection, please contact the Indigenous Student Centre, Western University, London, ON, N6A 3K7; Phone 519-661-4095.

Frequently Asked Questions

I don't have a Certificate of Indian Status, Métis Citizenship or Inuit Trust card. Am I still eligible for the Aboriginal Admission Access Category?

If you have any concerns about the proof of ancestry requirement or circumstances that have prevented you from obtaining the above identification, please contact Zeeta, our Indigenous Liaison Admissions at is.access@uwo.ca with the subject heading "Zeeta - Assistance required with Proof of Ancestry Requirement”. You can also call our office at 519-661-4095.

I do not wish to be considered under the Aboriginal Admission Access Category and I have a "To Do" list item on my Student Centre. Is this holding up my application with Western?

No, students who have not yet submitted proof of ancestry and their consent form will still be considered with the general pool of applicants. Please contact our office or Undergraduate admissions to have your Aboriginal Admission "To Do" list item removed.

I have submitted my consent form and proof of ancestry and I still have a "To Do" list item on my Student Centre. When will this be removed?

It may take several weeks for your “To Do” list item to be removed once you have submitted both your consent form and proof of ancestry. You will receive a confirmation email from Zeeta, our Indigenous Liaison Admissions Coordinator that your information has been obtained and that you are being considered under the access category.

If I choose not to use the Aboriginal Admission Access Category can I still access the Indigenous Student Centre as a student?

Absolutely! The Indigenous Student Centre is for all self-identifying Indigenous students at Western. We welcome all students to use our services and attend our programming!

I have previously applied to Western, do I need to resubmit my consent form and proof of ancestry?

You will need to submit an online consent form for the current year you are applying. Email or phone Zeeta to confirm if you will need to resubmit your proof of ancestry.

Do you have any other questions about the Undergraduate Aboriginal Admission Access Category?

For more information contact Zeeta, Indigenous Liaison Admissions Coordinator.